Divorce and Family Law
The stakes are high in family law disputes. Family law often tugs at a person's core values - children, hard-earned assets, and integrity. Lindsey's experience in family law matters helps guide clients through the legal process, carefully analyze the various options, and provide a straightforward, honest opinion as to the potential consequences.
Buchheit Law recognizes the importance of striking a delicate balance between: (1) the intense emotions that clients often experience throughout a family law case, (2) the client's short and long-term goals, and (3) good business judgment. Following are just a few of the statements / questions that may arise in family law:
- I'm getting married soon and am unsure whether I need a premarital agreement.
- I want to divorce by spouse but I'm afraid. What can I do?
- I want to modify the Court's Order to get more visitation with my children.
- What's the difference between legal custody and physical care? Is shared care an option?
- Do I have grounds for lowering or increasing child support / alimony?
- My spouse and I have agreed to get a divorce, our parenting schedule, and how we'll divide our assets and debts. Can we get a divorce without spending tons of money?
- How do I get or defend a temporary restraining order?
Family Law Services
All too often people fail to capitalize on the fresh start they receive after a divorce. For example, failure to change the beneficiary designation of life insurance policies or retirement plans may result in the person's ex-spouse inheriting that money, a result the client clearly would not want. See U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Hillman v. Maretta. Also consider the potential for retained benefits of a marriage (e.g. the right to elect against a former spouse's social security benefits). Buchheit Law strives to create long-lasting relationships with clients to ensure they receive the guidance and counseling necessary to meet their ever-changing needs and goals. The firm assists individuals with needs in family law, estate planning and probate, and general business.